Only swimming facilities and house owners know how tough it’s to maintain crystal clear blue water in the pool where all summer fun takes place. Pretty much all pool vacuum head cleans, eliminates leaves, debris, and algae to some extent. Only the quality ones take care of the cleaning as well as the convenience of the cleaner himself/herself.
If you are to spend money for the best above ground pool vacuum head, to be sure take design, shape, location, etc. factors into your consideration.
After examining dozens of vacuum heads, and acknowledging their cleaning effectiveness, convenience, and design, I was finally able to put these top 7 products on the list. Regardless of your budget and requirements, from the list, you will find the most suitable pool vacuum head.
- 7 Best Above Ground Pool Vacuum Head Reviews
- 1. Millard Deluxe Triangle Pool Vacuum Head
- 2. Swimline Weighted Flex Vacuum Head
- 3. Milliard Pool and Spa Vacuum Head
- 4. Milliard See-Thru Triangular Weighted Head Pool Vacuum
- 5. Poolmaster Deluxe Air Relief Vinyl Liner Swimming Pool Vacuum
- 6. HydroTools by Swimline Weighted Half Moon Pool Vacuum Head
- 7. U.S Pool Supply 11 inches Weighted Butterfly Pool Vacuum Head
- What is the best above ground pool vacuum?
- How Do You Vacuum an Above Ground Pool?
7 Best Above Ground Pool Vacuum Head Reviews
1. Millard Deluxe Triangle Pool Vacuum Head
- 11 inches cleaning surface with 12 sets of brushes
- Angled bristles on triangular head
- Weighted head stays perfectly onto the pool bottom
- Fits standard 1.2 and 1.5 inches hoses
Cleaning elements from corners and tight spaces into the pool require you to use a pool vacuum head like this one from Millard. Its unique angled bristles on the triangular head make sure the entire pool is well-cleaned while leaving no debris, algae, and other stuff whatsoever.
For ease of cleaning, the cleaner head is weighted to make sure it stays underwater. In real life, it does that exceedingly well. You don’t need to struggle at all to keep it submerged. This overall contributes to even cleaning.
There are 12 brush sets in total to take care of the cleaning. As the bristles are of polypropylene, these will last longer than conventional nylon-made bristles. You can rest assured about its durability.
With its 11 inches wide angular shape cleaning surface, you will notice significant differences compared to your older vacuum head. If your pool has more tight corners than average pools, this can be the best above ground vacuum head you can buy to keep the pool exceptionally clean.
The port easily fits any standard 1.25 and 1.5 inches vacuum hoses. It features spring loaded locking mechanism to make sure attaching is easy and well-secured.
- Cleans from tight spaces and corners really well
- Large cleaning surface takes less time to clean
- Well weighted head eases cleaning
- Easy hose attaching mechanism
- Durable bristles ensures longevity
- Difficult to move due to good suction power
- Bristles don’t stay angled after a few months of use
2. Swimline Weighted Flex Vacuum Head
When it comes to brushless pool vacuum heads, you might wonder how effective the cleaning would be. This is a different type, and has a different cleaning style.
Among many, the Swimline flex vacuum head got my attention due to its great cleaning service. If you want to clean the pool in a short time, and get the best cleaning results, the deal would be worthwhile considering.
Compared to bristle cleaning heads, it does the cleaning within a relatively short time. So, if you own a larger pool, you won’t have to spend a long time for cleaning and stuff. The broad sweep from this unit is quite capable of cleaning rough materials as well.
If you clean the pool once in a while, and find a lot of grime and debris when you come to clean it, this brushless unit won’t be the right pick. These brushless heads are for periodical cleaning. As it takes much less time, cleaning on a regular basis doesn’t seem overwhelming at all.
One of the drawbacks of this vacuum head is that when it picks something hard or thick, it doesn’t vacuum properly or works only in one direction.
- Efficient cleaning doesn’t take much time for most cases
- Stays weighted properly for easy cleaning
- Compatible with different hose sizes
- Parts are made of durable materials
- Installing the spring is quite difficult
- The head plugs when contacting large objects.
3. Milliard Pool and Spa Vacuum Head
- 13 inches wide cleaning head
- Durable polypropylene bristles
- Weighted head uses suction power
- Compatible with standard 1 ¼ and 1 ½ inches hoses
- Durable ABS plastic construction
Another vacuum head from Milliard. This one got a bit of wider shape, and the edges are circular to make sure your pool floor is thoroughly cleaned. The head itself is weighted, so it will stay contacting the floor all the time. It uses an air-relief valve to release excess suction to get you the best cleaning results.
Featuring a 13 inches wide brush, the bristles are made of polypropylene assuring you of its durability. Regardless of the material of your pool floor, these bristles will stand out impressively when it comes to cleaning.
Compared to a triangular shaped head, it sweeps debris, dirt, and other elements within a short time.
The manufacturer used durable molded ABS plastic to make the head. Although it’s not the most durable material, it’s more than enough for pool cleaning. For its chemical resistance properties, it outstands metal counterparts easily.
Like the previously reviewed one from Milliard, this vacuum head is also compatible with standard 1-¼ and 1-½ inches vacuum hoses.
Due to its good suction power, you might face a bit of difficulty while pushing the head initially. But, as it gets farther away, it moves smoothly.
- Fast cleaning performance due to its wide head
- Perfectly weighted as it also uses pressure relief valves
- Great suction even at low pump speed
- Effectively gets little particles off the pool floor
- Not that effective at cleaning bigger pebbles of rocks
4. Milliard See-Thru Triangular Weighted Head Pool Vacuum
- ABS plastic made head and nylon made bristles
- See-thru triangular plastic body
- 11 inches wide cleaning surface
- 1-½ and 1-¼ inches vacuum hose port
Another triangular shaped vacuum head on the list. If cleaning dirt, debris, and algae is your prime concern, you won’t regret buying this product for pool maintenance.
The manufacturer designed this unit in a way to allow it to maneuver around the pool floor, and clean toughest dirt be it into corners, crevices, along walls, or other locations. You can swivel and twist for more effective cleaning results.
To make sure the dirt and other elements aren’t pushed around, the manufacturer used nylon bristles at the bottom.
Apart from its cleaning ability, the vacuum head remains quite gentle on the vinyl pool liners. The sides got rubber bumpers to prevent scratches and scraping.
The 11 inches wide head is made of ABS plastic to make sure it doesn’t get damaged due to the underwater environment. It’s resistant to typical pool chemicals.
If you are wondering if the head floats or not, well, the head is perfectly weighted to be always in touch with the pool floor. Its good suction power sometimes make it a bit hard to push.
When it comes to clean leaves or a bit larger elements, the cleaner doesn’t seem to perform that well. But it’s acceptable for a brushed vacuum head.
- Highly effective against dirt and algae
- Stays gentle on pool liners for its rubber edges
- Durably made for long time cleaning sessions
- Cleans from corners and crevices really well
- Not that effective at leaves
5. Poolmaster Deluxe Air Relief Vinyl Liner Swimming Pool Vacuum
- Durable nylon bristles around the head and underneath it
- Adjustable suction power
- Weighted heat with stainless-steel tension-spring
- Compatible with 1-¼ and 1.5 inches hoses
For your vinyl liner swimming pool, I have got this specific vacuum head cleaner to make sure the pool floor doesn’t remain green even for a few days. Poolmaster made this vacuum head with features and specs to provide the pool a thorough cleaning while making the process convenient for you.
For effective cleaning results, the head got high quality nylon bristles around it and underneath its body to make sure the pool floor as well as side walls are properly cleaned. Dirt, debris, algae, etc. elements will have no chance to stand against it.
You can adjust the suction level depending on the floor type, and cleaning requirements. If you have a good filter system, the suction will be as you can expect.
The head perfectly submerges, and always maintains contact with the floor. It features a stainless-steel tension spring for you to maneuver the handle with ease throughout the cleaning process.
Compared to conventional vacuum heads, this one vacuums a pool in a relatively short time. You will love how fast it cleans the pool.
- Lots of bristles thoroughly cleans pool floor and sidewalls
- Good suction power
- Replaceable bristles
- Head doesn’t float at all
- Effortless and fast cleaning
- Plastic feels cheap
- Has some design flaws
6. HydroTools by Swimline Weighted Half Moon Pool Vacuum Head
- Weighted head eases cleaning
- Not too soft, not too hard bristles
- Half-moon design for tight corners
- 10 inches cleaning head
- 1-¼ and 1.5 inches hose port
This half moon pool vacuum head puts an end to pool cleaning hassle if the pool has lots of dirt and algae on the floor. Its shape is perfect for cleaning into the mole canyons along the edge. Within a short time, you can sweep a considerably large swimming pool.
The bristles do exceedingly well when cleaning elements from the floor. However, these will deteriorate after a few months of regular use. You will need to replace the bristles, which is one of the negative issues of this vacuum head.
While cleaning, the head maintains a good contact with the floor. So you won’t have to struggle or push it every now and then.
Again, this vacuum is specifically made for debris and algae. If you are facing issues because of these elements, you can expect this cleaning head to deliver you the best possible outcome. But, when it comes to large objects, you will notice the unit not performing up to its full potential.
For your oddly shaped, round shape, kidney, or other shaped pool that has lots of corners and tight areas, this will be the best above ground pool vacuum head for the price.
- Very effective cleaning against dirt and algae
- Thorough cleans pool floor
- Lots of bristles for fast cleaning
- Does great job cleaning corners and tight spots
- Fast cleaning vacuum head
- Doesn’t always contacts the floor
- Not suitable for large pools
7. U.S Pool Supply 11 inches Weighted Butterfly Pool Vacuum Head
- 11 inches vacuum head
- Swivel hose for easy maneuvering
- 8 dense bristles underneath the head
- Compatible with 1-¼ and 1.5 inches hoses
The last one on the list is for vinyl-lined pools. With 8 bristles underneath the vacuum head, cleaning doesn’t require much effort. Like other brushed vacuum heads, you can expect great cleaning results against debris and algae.
The head got a bit round shape on edges that tackle corners and tight areas of the floor. It doesn’t require many swipes for thorough cleaning because of its multi-directional brushes.
When it comes to weight issues, it fairly does the job. However, it might need a slight push from your end while cleaning to keep contact with the floor. But, moving the vacuum head back and forth is pretty easy as it got a lightweight construction.
Compatible with 1-¼ and 1.5 inches hoses, attaching the pole is a matter of a few seconds with the included EZ clip.
- Ideal vacuuming head for vinyl pools
- Easy to move head underwater
- Does great job cleaning algae
- Durable construction
- Not the heaviest vacuum head on the list
What is the best above ground pool vacuum?
After considering cleaning methods, effectiveness, convenience, and price these are the top above ground pool vacuums that you buy from –
- DOLPHIN Nautilus CC Robotic Pool Vacuum Cleaner – Best Overall
- XtremepowerUS Premium Automatic Suction Vacuum – Best Budget
- Intex Recreation Corp FBA_28001E Auto Pool Cleaner – Best Automatic
- AIPER SMART Cordless Automatic Pool Cleaner – Best Robotic
- Pool Blaster Max Cordless Rechargeable – Best Handheld
You May Also Like: How To Get Algae Out Of Pool Without A Vacuum? – 3 Easy Ways
How Do You Vacuum an Above Ground Pool?
- First, you need to attach the pole to the vacuum head. It’s just a matter of a simple push for most cases. You will hear a click sound once it’s into the place. But, the attachment method varies depending on the manufacturer.
- For the swiveling vacuum head, be sure to attach this swiveling end to the vacuum head.
- Put the vacuum head into the pool. It should stay on the floor.
- Prime the house after feeding the vacuum hose into the pool. Connect the prime hose and water return jets of the pool. This should make the vacuum head create bubbles, and float on the pool. After a while, once the vacuum hose is filled, the head will go back to the bottom.
- Turn off your pool filter when you are ready to vacuum the pool. If it has an automatic chlorinator, turn it off as well.
- Attach your full vacuum hose to the skimmer basket adapter.
- Turn the filter on, leave the chlorinator turned off.
- Slowly start vacuuming holding the telescopic handle. Move the head to clean the floor as well as the sides. Slow vacuuming will make sure debris doesn’t stir in the water.
- Once you are done vacuuming, turn the filter off, and remove the attached skimmer basket adapter. Remove all attachments, and store hose, head, and pole in a safe place.
- Be sure to give the skimmer basket a thorough clean to make sure there’s no leaf and debris left. Put it back into the skimmer.
- Now, you can turn the automatic chlorinator and pool filter on.
Although vacuuming an above-ground pool feels quite overwhelming, only using the best above-ground pool vacuum head can handle the cleaning task in a convenient way.
Be sure to vacuum the pool periodically, to make sure the vacuum head doesn’t have to struggle much for cleaning.