It’s no new news that oriental rugs are pretty expensive. And you should always think about investing in the best vacuum for delicate rugs that will be able to preserve their integrity. Or else damages and wearing out will be obvious sooner than you’d like to.
Now there are a few pointers that strictly relates to the matter of vacuuming an oriental rug, which are:
- Normal vacuuming won’t be enough since there’s a good chance of catching edge fringe with the rollers. Something that can highly demolish the structure.
- You’ll need a vacuum cleaner that supports the side-to-side movement pattern. As that’s best to stir the pile enough and eliminate grime without risking the texture.
- The equipment must also be flexible for cleaning the rug’s backside thoroughly.
And so on…
Now your journey to find the vacuum for oriental rugs might not be on a smooth start, so we want to help.
With 6 Excellent Recommendations! Each Being Fab in Their Own Way! Let’s explore!.
Best Vacuum for Oriental Rugs
1. Kenmore Elite 21814 Canister Vacuum
We are here to find the best vacuum for oriental rugs and one model that deserves to be on this list for being a complete package with retractable cords, extending telescoping wand floor nozzles, cleaning accessories, and a bunch of handy features, is none other than the Kenmore Elite 21814.
It comes with a bagged canister-style design that includes a motorized attachment for pets that is free from tangling issues. Also, there’s a 2-motor mechanism system for the overall powering with it. You get a LED light and the popular HEPA filter technology with it.
The provided telescoping aluminum wand comes with adjustability as well as all other 4 accessories serving individual purposes.
Design-wise, the Kenmore Elite 21814 earns massive praise. You simply need a push with your foot on the button to have the wand pop out. The big size hose takes inside everything without giving you the fear of anything getting stuck, since it’s bigger it’s easier to pull things out. Also, super useful for cobwebs and ceilings.
Kenmore Elite 21814 feels not very time-consuming to assemble, especially the wand. And it holds pretty well to avoid any sudden fall-over incident.
The low-profile design allows for cleaning tight spots. Both on hardwood and rugs, the head does an equally good job. So, no hassle of having to change it again and again.
And the most impressive thing that makes it a deserving placeholder in this list of vacuum cleaners to use on oriental rugs, is its performance on thick, plush, and complicated hidden surfaces. Easy and Effortless to Be More Precise!
Now coming to the glitches, this unit has a big back wheel that is not the best to last long. In fact, from day one, you may notice flimsiness in the part. It’s odd actually because, except for this one thing, the whole design screams convenience. And that goes for both usability as well as durability.
Overall, it’s one of the best vacuums for oriental rugs with powerful performance, durable design, and a within-the-reach price point.
- Super clean design that allows enough user-friendliness.
- The wand telescope works great at assembling and staying on spot without the fear of sudden popping out.
- The low profile and flat-laid wand concept help in reaching tight spots.
- Goes over thick and plush rugs easily without giving any feeling of putting in extra effort.
- A well-made unit that shall last a good period of time if followed through thorough maintenance.
- The huge back wheels are slightly flimsy, we doubt they will last longer, and looks like it will snap off eventually.
2. Hoover WindTunnel Max Bagged Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- The fantastic entry-level vacuum suits perfectly someone who has oriental rugs as well as a lot of pet hair to deal with.
- The pedal feels super easy to engage and the response is fast as well.
- Because of the lightweight body, maneuverability is prominently there to help.
- A high suction capacity for the price point overall.
- When using the hose the rotary brush stops automatically, which is interesting.
- The sound it makes feels irritating during a long session of vacuuming.
- The provided light feels more like a décor addition rather than having any actual purpose.
- It comes with a wand that collapses when used.
The Hoover WindTunnel UH30600 makes a fabulous starting vacuum pick that someone who never had a vacuum before will like to have for their oriental rugs. It gives a vibe of a starter vacuum cleaner.
It’s impressive at cleaning pet hair from different carpet surfaces and comes with an easy engaging pedal that needs probably the least effort from anyone.
Because of the lightweight design that the vacuum comes with, you won’t feel much difficulty moving from one room to another.
However, if you are trying to change the surface, going from flooring to carpet, for instance, you will require using the right height setting to see good results. Something a few people would not like about the unit, the ones who don’t prefer manual changing.
Moving onto its suction power, it’s good enough to not ruin the texture of rugs while being strong to get rid of all the dirt and dust efficiently.
With the Hoover vacuum, it’s also way easier to use the provided additional tools like the Crevice tool, dusting brush, telescoping tool, and an upholstery attachment. Just having the unit upright while putting an attachment to the hose is what you’ll need to do.
The noise it makes is tolerable, but long sessions can feel irritating. Also, have the least expectation with the provided light, the mounting location is weird. It hardly points at the floor, hence there’s no purpose for it.
All in all, this is a user-friendly unit that new vacuum cleaner buyers can get for their oriental rugs.
3. Shark NV752 Upright Vacuum
- It comes with an aesthetically eye-pleasing color scheme that does not require the user to hide the unit.
- The provided brush pattern does excellent at making rugs cleaner as well as fluffier.
- It’s easy to use and equally versatile, probably the best one in terms of usability.
- It comes with a mini motorized brush tool that is not common and in fact, something similar-range picks lack.
- The powerful suction capacity suits different surfaces including upholstery furniture, small stairs, and even cat trees.
- Not a lightweight vacuum definitely, could feel a bit daunting during long sessions.
- The bristles of power rush are poorly made, prone to separation and slight fraying.
Using a vacuum on oriental rugs means you need a unit with a good brush pattern, something that our next pick, Shark NV752 excels in.
On starting notes, it’s quite good-looking with an eye-pleasing color scheme. So those who have tight space in their home, and don’t want the hassle of having to hide an ugly vacuum in some corner so that visitors don’t see it, this vacuum is the one to go for.
The power of the suction is also great with the unit and serves good real-life applications. The powerhead gives a suitable dusting brush pattern to deal with oriental rugs. And you’ll mostly achieve enough fluff and clean results with it.
The selling point of this unit is probably user-friendliness and versatility. You get to use it as a canister vac. And also, as a lift-away if needed. Both wand and powerhead are capable of traveling into tight spots.
Another area where this vacuum makes a clean impression of being different than the other competitors in the market is in the mini motorized brush tool area. Something not many vacuum makers provides at this price point.
However, there’s some probability of experiencing fraying as well as separation with the powerful brush bristles. And it seems like you won’t have to use the unit for a long time to see those signs. That’s one drawback we’d like to mention.
Bottom line is that the Shark NV752 will do a great job at handling oriental rugs as well as hardwood floors apart from also giving ample service to keep other miscellaneous things in your home clean.
Miele Compact C2 Vacuum Cleaner
- It works great on carpets embedded with pet hair and hardly leaves anything behind.
- The vacuum bag typically will last a month, which is pretty long.
- Assembly is super simple and anyone would be able to figure things out with a little DIY idea backing them up.
- Both carpet brush attachment and wand are fabulous to work with enough suction.
- Performance is pleasing if we consider the price point.
- The automatic shutting-off feature of the powerhead might not be everyone’s cup of tea.
- The provided instruction book seems like gibberish.
The Miele Compact C2 is a popular oriental rug suitable vacuum that will take care of all pet hair embedded in your expensive rug without leaving anything behind every time.
We also found that the unit does not need very frequent bag changes. And performance-wise it’s impressive overall with all the essential vacuum features.
The alteration from upright to the canister is a bit daunting. But it’s one of those things that gets better with constant use. So not really a drawback.
However, the auto shutting-off feature of the powerhead is something a few may not like at all. The same goes for the switch on the handle that takes a second to respond.
Both for laminated floorings and carpeted areas, the vacuum will be a decent performer with clearing out most waste at once.
Also, this gentle vacuum cleaner is easy to assemble and hardly needs any instructions to follow. However, if you do need the instructions, the provided guide will barely help, because it’s quite confusing.
Apart from that, the Miele Compact C2 is a decent adjustable suction unit that will be helpful for taking care of your oriental rug and regular cleaning activities.
BISSELL 2252 CleanView Swivel Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
- Once you get a grip on leveling the suction power becomes super useful.
- The lightweight design allows you to move easily.
- Scotting under furniture is simple thanks to the low-profile design.
- The provided filter change indicator is pretty large, so it’s hard to not notice, which helps.
- The overall use flow is super convenient for every day.
- Prone to get stuff in the rotary brush, making the motor vulnerable.
- At times, you may need to pull stuff out when those get caught in the canister, and that’s easy but gross.
The BISSELL 2252 is a powerful vacuum unit that gets almost everything without being a heavy vacuum making things unnecessarily difficult. It’s a go-to pick that will handle your home’s vacuuming needs as well as the oriental rug you own.
Since it’s not a bulky piece of equipment, this model will feel rather simple to use for big spaces. Its compact design helps in maneuvering different areas without making things daunting.
However, that also brings some probabilities of the unit not being one of those that lasts a long time. You see, the flimsiness is also there with the lack of bulkiness. But then again, anyone who does not require frequent usage will get quite good use out of it.
The light housing is also a reason behind the easy handling. It comes with an ergonomic hand handle that helps firm grip while going through tricky spots.
Overall, BISSELL 2252 could be a decent oriental rug-friendly vac for an affordable price, so definitely check it out.
Eureka WhirlWind Bagless Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- The visuals are no joke, it’s good-looking enough to step aside from the worry of having to hide it in a corner.
- There’s enough adjustable suction strength for most households with oriental rugs.
- The best part would be the usability, it’s just super simple to use as well as versatile.
- There are big wheels, so moving around the unit at home is a breeze.
- The price point is kept really reachable with ample features.
- The power cord could have been 4-5 feet long.
- The positioning of the slider for suction control is weird.
And last but not least, we have Eureka WhirlWind. The futuristic-looking vac is also pretty much a visual treat for any household.
The color scheme supports the idea of displaying it in an open space allowing visitors to have a glance at its good looks.
And at the same time, provides enough power with suction to basically get rid of any nastiness from space. This vacuum cleaner even comes with a handy suction adjustment built-in to help.
The best part however is its easy usability, again something very important for the oriental rug, and so we have got quite a few picks today that shine in ease of use for that very reason.
Now, this unit comes with a tiny bit of dust cup along with being a small unit itself. That just makes popping out and dumping super simple. It gets ready to use again with such a simple concept.
The power cord does not become an obstacle for the unit to work efficiently, as the vac can roll over on its own.
They’re also a built-in crevice tool and wand brush you’ll get good use out of. Just the power cord being a little short is an off thing about Eureka WhirlWind. However, for some users, it won’t even come as a complaint, so not really a con.
Overall, Eureka WhirlWind will be a super compact, oriental rug-friendly, easy maneuvering, thick hose-included option that can easily be called the best vacuum for delicate rugs as well.
Oriental Rug Vacuuming Tips
Even if you’ve vacuumed before, learning the correct way to vacuum an Oriental rug is so important because it will prevent damage to the rug. Before you vacuum your rug, there are some things you should keep in mind.
- Vacuum Regularly: Oriental rugs are an investment, whether you like to admit it or not. So while you may not want to vacuum your rug every day, or at all for that matter, it’s a good idea to vacuum it at least every week. Regular vacuuming removes dust and hair that can build up over time underneath your rug, which can gradually cause dyes to fade. It can also remove animal hair, which carries allergens, and can keep the fibers of your rug from deteriorating.
- Get a professional cleaning at least once a year
- The back side of the rug is just as important to clean as the front. The back side is where dirty clothes often lay, and if not vacuumed properly this dirt will get transferred to the carpet, making it dirty.
- Maintain side-to-side vacuum pattern.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do oriental rugs need to be cleaned?
Vacuum your Oriental rug as often as necessary to keep the pile free of dust, dirt, and abrasives. And in fact, it is recommended that one goes for thorough deep cleaning done by professionals every once a year.
2. What is the difference between a Persian and an Oriental rug?
The main difference is that oriental rugs are mainly made in India, Pakistan, and China. While Persian rug, is also a type of oriental rug, typically originating from Iran and a few middle Eastern adjacent countries.
3. How long do Oriental rugs last?
It will vary depending on the usage, quality, traffic level, and maintenance. But typically, somewhere between 20 to even 200 years.
4. How often should you vacuum an Oriental rug?
The frequency of vacuuming depends on the type of rug and your environment. For example, if you have pets, you may need to clean your Oriental rug twice or thrice a week. Normally you should vacuum an oriental rug once a week.
And that was our thoughts on the vacuum for oriental rugs. Here’s a quick glance at what we talked about on each pick.
Kenmore Elite 21814 Canister Vacuum is great for cobweb, ceiling, tight spots, and oriental rug cleaning processes with a huge hose size that also has within the reach price point.
Hoover WindTunnel Max Bagged Upright Vacuum Cleaner comes with a lightweight user-friendly design that new vacuum users will love for their oriental rugs.
Shark NV752 Upright Vacuum works for hardwood flooring along with oriental rugs and even to clean miscellaneous items at home.
Miele Compact C2 Vacuum Cleaner will be excellent for anyone who deals with pet hair cleaning out of their expensive oriental rugs with minimum bag change needs.
BISSELL 2252 CleanView Swivel Upright Bagless Vacuum cleaner sounds like a go-to option with a swivel feature, light housing, and a bargain price that suits the type of rug cleaning we are talking about.
And finally, Eureka WhirlWind Bagless Canister Vacuum Cleaner is a visually attractive unit with features that goes for the oriental rug as well as the one made of silk and wool with a bonus treat of built-in suction adjustment available.
Hopefully, you have some information at hand now to make a wise choice. Good Luck with That!